Projects & Researches
Categories of Application forms
a.) Ground Water Forms
1.) Application for Authority To Drill Borehole or Sink Commercial Well (Form GW1)
2.) Application for General/Specific Groundwater Abstraction Permit (Form GW4)
b.) Surface Water Application Forms
1.) Application for Surface Water Permit (Form W1)
2.)Application to do Opperation in a Public Stream(Form W2)
To obtain these forms, please visit our offices.
MAJOR WATER USES IN MIDDLE MAZOWE SUB-CATCHMENT
WATER USE IN THE CATCHMENTS
Surface water : Agriculture, Mining and Urban raw water supply
Groundwater : Urban domestic consumption, Industrial, Institutional, Mining and Agriculture.
What is the structure of the Middle Mazowe Groundwater programme?
The Middle Mazowe Ground water management programme is being implemented using an incremental, one-block-at-a-time approach. The programme has in the past focussed mainly on the 1st phase, which was primarily data gathering data. The outline of the phases of the Middle Mazowe Groundwater programme is as below:
Water Use Application Procedures
As governed by the legislative laws of Zimbabwe, all surface and groundwater use must be registered.
- Groundwater use application/ registration procedures
- A stakeholder intending to have a groundwater source at his property must consult the Subcatchment council for authority to drill.
- Stakeholders applying for an authority to drill can be granted or rejected as not all areas are permitted to have groundwater sources. The applicant will fill out a GW1 form which can be obtained at our offices .Attach a Site Report then submit them at our offices. Application fees apply.
- After the successful drilling of a borehole, stakeholders should then apply for an abstraction permit. The applicant is required to complete a GW4 form . This should be obtained, filled and submitted at Subcatchment Council offices together with a photocopy of your proof of ownership of the property for which the permit is being applied.
- To better understand the hydrogeology of the Subcatchment council the stakeholders are expected to submit drilling reports after completion of the drilling process.
- Surface Water application
- A stakeholder intending to abstract or divert any surface water from a nearby stream, river, Lake for any purposes i.e agriculture, construction, sand mining e.t.c must consult the Subcatchment Council for authorisation and permit processing.
- The applicant is required to write a letter to the Subcatchment stating where one wants to abstract water, the intended use, how long one intends to abstract and (the volumes required) before an inspection by the council’s officials at the proposed site.
- If the site is feasible the applicant will be advised to proceed with their application and be given the appropriate surface water abstraction form.
SECTORAL WATER USES
The Subcatchment harbours various sectors which include consumptive and non consumptive water users.
Agricultural > Agriculture is a major water user in the country. Some of the water uses are irrigation, fish farming, animal husbandry as well as poultry.
Urban > Local Urban Councils are among the chief surface water users while urban domestic use are the chief groundwater users in the Subcatchment.
Industrial > This sector uses water for manufacturing and production. These uses include cooling, fabricating, processing and diluting of products. Some of industries are petroleum refineries, smelting companies, chemical producing factories, mining and construction
Commercial > It includes bulk water selling and bottling.
Recreation > this is the non consumptive use of water for recreational purposes.
Institutional > These include use of water by hospitals, flats, schools, hotels and companies.
The Subcatchment Council carries out awareness campaigns within its area of jurisdiction. At this campaigns, stakeholders are taught about sustainable water resources as well farming practices that don’t jeopardize our finite water resources. It is also involved in dam maintenance.